Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to decide PCB component placement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nag123

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pcb component placement

Hi

Can any one tell me how do we decide the placement of components on the PCB i.e. where to route power signals where to route clock signals and how to route digital and analog signals?

Re: PCB component placement

1-(placement of components) depend on the components type like analog, digital, noisy, senestive, power,..

2-(route power signals) top and bottom layers, and internally in power layer

3-(route clock signals and how to route digital and analog signals) in internal signal layers and assign one power layer(GND,DGND,AGND,VCC,VDD) for each signal layer,

Generally don't route high speed signal (clock,..) in top or bottom but you can route low speed signal in top and bottom, separate between high speed signal layers by power layers

Hi
Can you tell me how to place analog, digital, noise and power circuitry

PCB component placement

not in a simple forum reply, it takes a lot more than just questions here.

Read through the forum, see what others asking similar questions have been told.
Buy some books.
Buy some training.
Read lots.

PCB component placement

***Some Points to be consider at the time of Board Layout
1).All components should be placed with an appropriate functional group and their tracks routed within their designated PCB area.
Arrangement of Functional Groups on PCB

2) Place ground plane(s) under all components and all their associated tracks – a continuous ground plane with no avoidance in IC package or I/O connector area is recommended.

Added after 4 minutes:

Send me your mail id ill mail you the placement block created by me for the Digital,Analog,Power and noisy group.

PCB component placement

Yes, what Matthewsam says, I always take groups of components, sub sections of the circuit and group them together around the board outline.
It helps you to think about where they will all fit, also ensures that you have all the parts together & dont forget anything.

Placement of component is depends on the circuit flow

PCB component placement

The way I find best is to get all the components that will be on a board, put em in a little pot.
Cut out paper template of board size & cover it in PVA glue.

Shake pot, do little dance, pour pot onto paper & rattle till all components are stuck down.

Then go to CAD workstation & copy it.

See that its awful & then start again following the flow of the circuitry, keeping the major high current & important/sensitive tracks in logical order, putting all connectors where they need to go etc.

Remember, the dance is important! :D

Hi,

Pls check this link.I found it helpful for me.

the placement of components may be a critical part as mentioned above try to group all the components in the circuit such as power supply ,analog & Digital.
while placing the components make sure that routing the tracks is easier and simpler inorder to avoid more complications during routing.Try to maitain a minimum distance between the analog and digital circuits and also the power supply parts

PCB component placement

Hi,
Look at this:

It is about the all questions in PCB design - placement, routign, etc.

Hi Guys
i am doing a board with 3 processors, a fpga and 2 cplds. working at 50mhz. the layer stack up is layer 1, internal plane1(VCC), layer 2, layer 3, layer 4, internal plane(GND), bottom layer. Its a kind of dual channel system, I have attached the block diag/ placement of the components. I am planning to routing data and and add in layer 3 and layer 1. Would that be appropriate and what kind of termination i would be better to use with such kind of routing. This is my first big design hence asking for some feedback.

routing of add and data bus would look like C shape.
thanks in advance
tama[/img]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back