Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC16F88-I/P programming problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng.mak88

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm building this circuit "LED Strobe & Tachometer" so it uses a microcontroller (PIC16F88-I/P) and I have the HEX code, but for some reason I don't know the code won't be verified when installed on the chip (neither can be read), and here is the code (LED Strobe Folder) :

https://www.epemag.com/lib/src/1110.zip

ANY HELP PLEASE!

I'm building this circuit "LED Strobe & Tachometer" so it uses a microcontroller (PIC16F88-I/P) and I have the HEX code, but for some reason I don't know the code won't be verified when installed on the chip (neither can be read), and here is the code (LED Strobe Folder) :

https://www.epemag.com/lib/src/1110.zip

ANY HELP PLEASE!

Hi,

That .hex code does not contain any Configuration bits, if you get them from the .asm file you may be able to manually enter them via your programmer software.

Easiest way will be to build the .asm file in MPlab to produce the .hex file with config bits.

That code without config bits programmed into my chip ok with a pickit2

What programmer are you using ; have you programmed that 16F88 chip before without any problems ?

btw - do you have any links / article text to those programs, I know someone who is also interested in railway projects /dcc etc

Attachments

• 2013-02-11 17_32_15-PIC16F88-I_P programming problem - Reply to Topic.jpg
    2013-02-11 17_32_15-PIC16F88-I_P programming problem - Reply to Topic.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 99

Hi,

That .hex code does not contain any Configuration bits, if you get them from the .asm file you may be able to manually enter them via your programmer software.

Easiest way will be to build the .asm file in MPlab to produce the .hex file with config bits.

That code without config bits programmed into my chip ok with a pickit2

What programmer are you using ; have you programmed that 16F88 chip before without any problems ?

btw - do you have any links / article text to those programs, I know someone who is also interested in railway projects /dcc etc

So you think if I use pickit2 it would work just fine ?
or I have to add those configuration bits anyway ?
sorry for asking alot I just don't know how to do that microcontroller programming cause its not really my specialization
and sure yeah I can send you this railway article and I guess u already have its code with the LED Strobe code

Hi,

The best way will be to Build the projects in MPlab to create a new .hex files.

As you can see from the screenshots the Config parameter CP_ALL is specified, this protects the code from people pirating the code from the chip.
However it can sometimes cause problems when reprogramming the chip so it might be better to turn it off by CP_OFF.

You do not say what programmer you are using, but if it works you should have no problem programming any .hex file.
Billyboy.hex is just the rebuilt and renamed LedStrobe program code

If you have any text / circuit details/ links of the projects they would be appreciated.
( you can PM the details if you do not want to broadcast them)

Attachments

• 2013-02-12 09_18_38-Program Manager.jpg
    2013-02-12 09_18_38-Program Manager.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 154
  • 2013-02-12 09_25_25-billyboy - MPLAB IDE v8.89 - [E__My Documents_My Microchip_billyboy_billyboy.jpg
    2013-02-12 09_25_25-billyboy - MPLAB IDE v8.89 - [E__My Documents_My Microchip_billyboy_billyboy.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 2013-02-12 09_27_34-Program Manager.jpg
    2013-02-12 09_27_34-Program Manager.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 110
  • billyboy.7z
    4.1 KB · Views: 76

Hi,

The best way will be to Build the projects in MPlab to create a new .hex files.

As you can see from the screenshots the Config parameter CP_ALL is specified, this protects the code from people pirating the code from the chip.
However it can sometimes cause problems when reprogramming the chip so it might be better to turn it off by CP_OFF.

You do not say what programmer you are using, but if it works you should have no problem programming any .hex file.
Billyboy.hex is just the rebuilt and renamed LedStrobe program code

If you have any text / circuit details/ links of the projects they would be appreciated.
( you can PM the details if you do not want to broadcast them)

thanks alot for your help
here is the railway power project, I have alot of projects like this so if u like it just tell me to send u more

Attachments

• railway.rar
    10.9 MB · Views: 95

Status
Not open for further replies.