Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

In-ear speaker transducers for hearing aids...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Externet

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How are they made ?
Do you know links/pictures of how they look and are built ? This is about the transducer only, not the electronic circuitry in them. Curious about its miniaturization and construction.

I've disassembled ancient white plastic earphones (the kind we plugged into tinny transistor radios in the 1960's). It's a coil of wire beside a thin metal plate, held by adhesive or double-sided tape. I forget whether a magnet is present. It would make sense for magnetism to be involved to improve efficiency.

In Google, I asked about "hearing aids speaker transducer" and got many pages of articles, images and history. Most transducers are "balanced armature".
A hearing aid speaker transducer does not use the awful-sounding earphone design of a 143 years old telephone.

Like home speakers, every design sounds different but audio equalization can made them sound similar.
I got a few free demos and found that Phonak hearing aids sound good for me, so my government and I bought them.

Found that modern in-ear transducers work more like a bellows, sound exiting the 'blow/****' port.

Attachments

• Knowles earphone.png
    Knowles earphone.png
    119.5 KB · Views: 146
How are they made ? Do you know links/pictures of how they look and are built ? This is about the transducer only, not the electronic circuitry. A hearing aid is a device designed to improve hearing by making sound audible to a person .... Behind the esimilar to a behind-the-ear hearing aid with the speaker or receiver in the canal or in the ear are hearing aids are one of two major classes of hearing aids – Behind the ear (BTE) and In the ear (ITE).

In the ear hearing aids do not produce the high amount of sound pressure that over-the-ear hearing aids provide, and have problems with sweat moisture affecting the battery and electronics.
Due to my normal for my age amount of hearing loss then the over-the-ear hearing aids are needed.

My hearing aids were a new design 4.5 years ago. This year there is a newer design that has a speaker that is half the length of the one mine has (but the length of mine is not visible). I am going to try a demo of the new ones in a few days to hear how they sound and how the processor deals with fidelity and noise reduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back