Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need a simple way for testing a mosfet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghaly

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I was not satisfied with posts about testing mosfets.
If any one knows a simple and easy way with details , please let me know it

STEPS for n channel mosfet

1) Set the DMM to the diode range.

2) Keep the mosfet on a dry wooden table on its metal tab, with the printed side facing you and leads pointed towards you.

3) With a piece of insulated wire stripped at the ends, short the gate and source leads of the mosfet. This will initially keep the internal capacitance between the gate and source completely discharged.

4) Now Touch the meter black probe to source lead and the red probe to drain leads of the device.

5)You should see an "open" circuit indication on the meter.

6) Now keeping the black probe touched to the source lead, lift the red probe from the drain lead and touch it to the gate lead of the circuit momentarily and bring it back to the drain lead of the mosfet.

7) This time the meter will show a short circuit.

The results from the point 5 and 7 confirms that the mosfet is OK.

Repeat this procedure many times for proper confirmation.

For repeating the above procedure you will again need to short the gate and the source leads using a piece of wire as explained earlier.

Reactions: ghaly

ghaly

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back