Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building a programming cable for Xilinx CPLD / FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbyiclearner

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am planning to build a cheap programming cable for Xilinx CPLDs/ FPGAs. I found one in the internet here. But I was confused with the cable wiring diagram. For FPGAs and CPLDs the programming pins are TDI, TDO, TMS and TCK. I could not find all the pins in the diagram. Are they renamed with other names here. Alternatively, does anyone know of any other simple DIY programmer.

Thanks,
Hobbyiclearner

You apparently overlooked the programmer schematic on this site. It does the 5 to 3.3V level translation and connects to JTAG interface.

OK. In simple words I hope that the programmer will work for CPLD/ FPGA programming?

Regards,
Hobbyiclearner

OK.. I found the ckt in an Xilinx application notes here. So I suppose it should work. I wanted to modify it to add a status LED to indicate if the programming cable works. Does anyone suppose that if I added a LED + resistor in parallel to 5 v supply, will the programmer continue working and indicate that it is getting power supply from FPGA/CPLD side (snapshot of modification attached.)**broken link removed**

Pls. advise.

Thanks,
Hobbyiclearner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back