Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

QPSK Modulator Design Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

NichollsGlen

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

I have designed a simple QPSK modulator and there are a few issues with my design that I am not sure how to fix, partly due to how I designed my DDS. I designed the modulator in two ways, the first using rotation flags based on whether the even/odd bit is 0/1 and the second method is using a for loop to xor the LUT values with the even/odd bits. I came to both of these methods from BPSK modulator I designed beforehand that worked perfectly. However, the first issue is that I have two seperate clk domains, one for the DDS and the other for the data as my digital sin/cos wave would just look garbled if I didn't do this. My biggest issue, though, is that when I sum the I and Q legs from the DDS for the IQ merge, the output signal looks like there are overflows when they are in phase, (my I/Q and IQ_merge are unsigned and I am looking at the tb using signed analog view) but the maximum value in the LUT is 8192 with 14 bits of resolution. Here are my two questions:

1. Is it best to scrap these approaches and design the DDS/CORDIC to receive the desired phase based on the even/odd IQ map?
2. How can I tie everything together so that the data generation and the DDS are in the same clock domain?

If my questions are not clear, I can attach some screenshots and my vhdl code.

If my questions are not clear
Not at all, I fear. It's easy to imagine that you get arithmetic overflow by doing the calculations wrong, but why multiple clock domains?

For the two seperate clock domains, my logic was that I wanted to generate data on the sysClk. However, with bit transitions at each rising edge, my dds would not be able to keep up. Should I incorporate flow control instead? As for the overflow, I'm simply adding the I and Q legs for the IQ merge, each of the I, Q, and IQ_merge are the same size.

Status
Not open for further replies.