Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EPROM flash and change

Deviousdexter

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

I hope this the correct place to post this, feel free to move it if not.

Please excuse my ignorance but i require some knowledge please. I have an old 8 bit computer which i believe needs the BIOS Rom replacing, my intention is to replace it with an Eprom and flash it myself. I have purchased a cheap programmer form China and downloaded some software which i believe to be compatible. However, nothing i look at seems to list the chip i am trying to flash.

The original chip is a Toshiba TMM23256P which i would like to replace.

The replacement is an AM27C256-120DC which i think is an AMD IC (??)
( This is UV Erasable ? Is it usable or do i need something else?)

Pics attached.

The programmer is a SP200S-V2.00 which connects via USB using a CH340 Driver. And i have ASprogrammer. NEOprogrammer and WLPro-V220 that seem to lauch ok but not detect or list the specific chip(s) i have.
Do i need a different chip, a different program(s) or is this possible with what i have? All i have in way of a UV light is a curing light for solder mask, is this useable or not ?

Any advise is greatfully received.

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20240501_153822_3.jpg
    IMG_20240501_153822_3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20240501_154346_6.jpg
    IMG_20240501_154346_6.jpg
    784 KB · Views: 32
Not sure exactly what model of computer you have but most MSX machines use Z80 processors so their clock speed is no faster than 6MHz and more likely 4MHZ. They never made faster Z80s, the Intel range overtook them in the computer market although they were and still are used in some industrial systems. That means the chance of it running with a slower EPROM is good. Can program one for you here if you like, no charge, it is highly unlikely I will live long enough to use my IC stocks, I've got thousands of varied devices that are collecting dust (anti-static dust of course!).

Brian.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back