Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why use PC/104 form factor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blapcb

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What are the advantages of the PC104 form factor over other forms? I know there are so many different other form factors out there (many by VIA etc) so what is special about PC104 and why perhaps to use it?

I have a system that is currently running on a Mini-ITX and I want to make it a lot smaller so looking for new platform. It runs XP/XPe and uses the COMS, USB and LAN. I want something that can take a DC/DC supply, not the standard ATX SMPS (it is for automotive).

From what I understand, the main advantage is that there exist many off-the-shelf boards that can be stacked onto a PC/104 board. So that you can quickly build systems with whatever combination of CPU, memory, I/O or specialized parts like DSP's or FPGA's you need, without needing to design boards yourself. Reducing time-to-market, and profit from numbers produced for common boards.

Of course as soon as you stack a number of those onto each other, that small form factor advantage goes out the window... :wink:

So if a limited set of I/O is enough for your application, you might be better off picking a specialized small board like one of those from VIA you mentioned. Or a micro-controller board if you can live without x86 compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back