Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the energy received by an open end cable with the inner conductor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saulbit

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone. I am designing a circuit for IQ modulator, covering from 3.8GHz to 4GHz. The LO power is about +5dBm. However, when the LO power, ie. 0dBm, is fed to the LO input port, there is some energy showing in the ouput port about -70dBm, even in case I cut off the power of the whole circuit. The outputport is also SMA type. The smallest signal I have to provide from the output port is about -85dBm. Then I am sure that the -85dBm can't be achieved. When I use an open end cable, touching the ground shielding box, there is also some energy about -56dBm in the neigborhood ground of the input port, and about -60dBm in the neigborhood ground of the output port. These two ports are separated by a metal wall. What is the energy showing in/on the ground?
How can I realize the -85dBm output?
There is some tiny or minor clearence between the metal wall and the ground plane of the PCB. Is this clearence that ruins the isolation?
I have used the microwave absorption material, which did not work at all.
Would someone like to help me? Any reply is welcome.

I fear, there's no simple answer to the title question. You can have common mode ground plane waves, a shielding not completely enclosing the circuit can show resonances etc. It's difficult to achieve zero input/output coupling.

The problem can't be discussed without analyzing the exact circuit geometry, and the critical effects are not always obvious. It's a matter of RF engineering experience or "craftmanship".

I fear, there's no simple answer to the title question. You can have common mode ground plane waves, a shielding not completely enclosing the circuit can show resonances etc. It's difficult to achieve zero input/output coupling.

The problem can't be discussed without analyzing the exact circuit geometry, and the critical effects are not always obvious. It's a matter of RF engineering experience or "craftmanship".

As you did not say anything about your I/Q modulator, the situation is pretty typical in any mixer type. It is called LO/RF leakage. This is the reason we need to use a RF band-pass filter, to prevent the LO signal as well as IF input signal to appear in the RF output.

I understand the original post in the way, that the -70 dBm leakage is achieved with the board without a mixer in place. 75 dB LO suppression won't be bad for the mixer itself, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back