Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is zener voltage when 40mA of current flows in zener?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a silly question to ask. You choose the voltage, at 40mA it will be 9.1V +/- tolerance if used in reverse bias mode and about 0.7V in forward mode.

Brian.

The datasheet doesn't specify zener voltage at 40 mA. It can be nevertheless extrapolated from given information.

You are aware of device power rating and its preconditions? The intended operation point involves a large temperature rise, zener voltage t.c. must be taken into account.

Hi,

I can't find the chart for 9V1.
But I see 9.1V @ 5mA
And Z = 15 Ohms.
So the additional current of 35mA may cause additional voltagevdrop of 35mA x 15 Ohms = 525mV.
Thus 9.1 + 0.53 = 9.63 V.
In reality I expect less.

Klaus

Why are you operating the 5mA zener diode at 40mA which heats it to a little higher than its maximum allowed temperature even if it has air conditioning?

Thanks, the 40mA are just spikes, but i would like the zener to alwsys clamp below 11V...otherwise a MOSFET gate will be blown.

Hi,

I can't find it now, been searching for some app note that I'm certain mentioned it. Zeners are messy/loose/lousy. I seem to recollect you can use e.g. a TL431 voltage reference as a Zener replacement for the MOSFET gate clamp which is supposedly more accurate than the Zener. Revision O (and presumably other versions) of the TL431 datasheet has a walk-through of using it as a comparator, I guess that is basically and in a relative way how it is used as a Zener for MOSFET gates, but don't take my word for it as I haven't thought about the link between both circuits much.

you can use e.g. a TL431 voltage reference as a Zener replacement for the MOSFET gate clamp
Not necessarily.
The TL431 is likely not be fast enough to clamp a spike, which is what the OP wants.
It's also overkill, as the Zener should work fine for his requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back