Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is the loop gain at each pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuitking

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I connected a circuit like shown below. How do I find out what should be the loop gain at each pole frequency? is there a quick way to find this out?

1615475631254.png

1615475796594.png

For stability, the two poles should not be close to each others. If the first pole is at 600 MHz and the second is only double it, you will not have a sufficient phase margin. You should split them. A simple way to move the first pole inward (to lower frequency) so that you have a "real" dominant pole. Let us say fp1 is the dominant pole, this means unity gain frequency (UGF) is around DC_gain*fp1. fp2 should be around 4 times UGF to give you around 75 degree phase margin.

Are you asking how to calculate magnitude (and possibly also phase) of a first order low pass response?

Let us say fp1 is the dominant pole, this means unity gain frequency (UGF) is around DC_gain*fp1. fp2 should be around 4 times UGF to give you around 75 degree phase margin.

Thanks. I made fp1 = 300 MHz. Loop gain = 100/5 = 20. UGF=300 MHz*20 = 6 GHz. fp2 = 24 GHz.

I got the values close to what is expected but not exact. For ex. UGF is 5.96 GHz. All the components are ideal, shouldn't I see exact values?

1615544227601.png

UGF is also affected by second pole. 6 GHz is only valid for first order system.

deep_sea

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
UGF is also affected by second pole. 6 GHz is only valid for first order system.
Exactly. There is an effect nevertheless from the second pole on UGF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back