Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is a vi editor and how to use it in Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcs81

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is vi editor? is there any vi editor can use in wondows?

thanks.........

Re: vi editor

vi editor is a basic text editor for UNIX Open OS. In the past, maybe now too, GNU C programs were edited or written in vi editor. It's doesn't have fantastic functions or tools as current ones most people used in Borland C++ builder, Visual C++ or even UltraEdit32 etc found in Windows.

Now a days vi editor is not used that much beacuse it do not have graphical user interface. gvim editor is getting popular on linux with it's graphical user interface. VI editor is having a powerfull set of commands and multi level cut/copy buffers.

there is windos ports available for VI editor who is used with unix and can be downloaded from
https://www.winvi.de/en/

the gvim for windows can be downloaded from
https://www.vim.org

direct link to gvim6.4
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim63.zip

Cheers

How can I configure my Vim in windows ? .. I have downloaded Vim 6.3 .. and I want it to have some default configuration when I use it to open files .. something like a default font .. default font size .. things like that .. cuz I don't like the default font it opens with ..
I don't to change the font each time I open the editor ..

omara007 said:
How can I configure my Vim in windows ? .. I have downloaded Vim 6.3 .. and I want it to have some default configuration when I use it to open files .. something like a default font .. default font size .. things like that .. cuz I don't like the default font it opens with ..
Set your VIM environment variable to the location of your vim configuration file (.vimrc for example).
In your autoexec.bat or whatever, do something like:
VIM=C:\.vimrc
Then in that .vimrc file you have your specific configuration information.
Hope this helps and good luck.

gliss said:
Set your VIM environment variable to the location of your vim configuration file (.vimrc for example).

u replied one part of the question .. the second part is what to write in this file so as to change the font ? .. just the same command I mentioned ? .. and anywhere in the .vimrc file ?

To change the font in the .vimrc
Code:
set guifont=\Courier\ New\ 10
For example.

vi editor

Did that help?

The vi editor is one of the first text editors. It is very powerful. Once you start using it and get used to its plethora of features, you will hesitate to use any other editor. My sincere advice to you is to use it and learn it, if you want to become a linux/unix power user.

Added after 11 minutes:

gliss said:
omara007 said:
To simplify matters, you can simply edit the _vimrc file in your vim install folder

Status
Not open for further replies.