Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Use Handheld Computer as Remote Control?

yovenim

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have an NEC MobilePro 450 handheld computer. It has a wireless IR communication port on the back so that it can send and recieve to/from another MP450. I was wondering if there might be a way to write a small program to use this IR port to control a project I plan to build that I need a remote control for.

The project in question is a Propeller Clock (like this one **broken link removed**).
In order to set the clock or put in information, you obviosly can't have the butons on the spinning arm...this calls for a remote control. Henk Sourby, on the site above, used an old RCV remote. In his 'list of things to do', he mentions 'the ability to input text from the remote'.
This gave me the idea to see if its possible to use the MP450 to do this as I could just type in Words or the time, press enter, link with the clock by IR and have it set. Other functions that Henks has is switching between different modes and turning off different parts of the display and having different looking clock faces.

I dont plan on actually building the project untill I have a remote control setup of some sort.

REMOVED HIDDEN LINK

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

you need to investigate:
* what IR protocol you need to use, coding style, frequencies and so on...
* what the handheld´s IR transmitter is ... and how to control it.

Then you need to find out whether the handheld and it´s IR can fulfill the IR receiver requirements.

Klaus

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back