Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The relationship of Vbe and temperature in BJTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dohzer

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is it possible to get BJTs that have a very low change in Vbe with respect to temperature, or are they all roughly the same?

vbe versus temperature

Due to physical reasons the VBE voltage of ALL BJT´s changes with temperature at app. -2mV/deg if Ic is kept at a constant value.

vbe vs temperature

dohzer said:
Is it possible to get BJTs that have a very low change in Vbe with respect to temperature, or are they all roughly the same?

Temperature dependence of bipolar transistor current gain is described by the following formula:

gamma ~ exp((dEe-dEb)/kT),

where dEe is the emitter band gap narrowing (with respect to the base) due to heavy doping effect, and dEb is the band-gap narrowing in the base due to presence of Ge in SiGe HBTs (SiGe has a narrower band gap than Si), and kT is the thermal energy.

In bipolar (homojunction) transistors current gain increases with temperature, while in typical SiGe HBTs it is decreasing with temperature. I guess one can select such a (low) content of Ge in the base of SiGe HBT that these two factors cancel each other to make current gain independent of temperature (and thus Vbe at constant Ic will also be independent of temperature).

I have not seen any literature on this, and I doubt that someone would go into the complexities of HBT technology (compared to Si BJT) just to make gamma independent of temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back