Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

synthesis of unused logic in RTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

oAwad

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I have a question regarding RTL synthesis, if I define KEY_SIZE in my top level entity like this (note the value assigned is zero)
Code:
   generic        (
                  KEY_SIZE             :  in    integer range 0 to 2 := 0
                  );

and if my RTL design has if conditionals checking if (KEY_SIZE equals to 1 or 2) and will do other operations accordingly.

So I want to know how will the synthesis tool translate this to gate level. Will it consider the conditions when (KEY_SIZE equals 1 or 2) and the logic done accordingly ?

I think the tool should be able to optimize this situation and remove all logic related to (KEY_SIZE equals 1 or 2) as KEY_SIZE is not an input...it's hard-coded....but I like to hear from experts in these tools.

Thanks

EDIT: I'm using synopsys Design Compiler

Last edited:

The logic will be generated according to the actual value of the generic KEY_SIZE, other code won't be synthesized but still checked for correct syntax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back