Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

STM32 vs PIC24

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemnath

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have to choose a microcontroller for an application (AA Battery operated Pressure measurement).

Clock frequency: 1 Mhz or 2Mhz

I want to interface segment LCD with the microcontroller.

Should I go with low power controller like STM32L053R6T6 (or) PIC24FJ64GL306.

hello
what you mean with "segment LCD " seven segment or you mean "characters LCD" if you mean 7 segment choose the small size. many of MUC are low power consumption operate with low clock frequ.

kamal

segment display.jpg

i think your " segment LCD " this is not for general use . i think it is picked from a set. anyhow use low power consumption , low speed , high RAM . microcontroller .if you face problem configure MUC for high clock

kamal.

Hi,

your LCD..
* you need to know for which voltage it is designed.
* 8 backplanes (COM) means a 1:8 multiplex rate. Not every microcontroller can drive 8 backplanes.

You really need to use this lcd? Can´t use a simpler one?

Klaus

Segment LCD:
Display type: FSTN/Positive
Operating Voltage: 3.0V
Drive Mode: 1/8D, 1/4B
Operating temp: -30°C ~ 70°C
Storage temp: -40°C ~ 80°C
Polarizer type: Transflective
Viewing Direction: 12:00

Hope STM32L053R6T6 (or) PIC24FJ64GL306 has 8 backplanes.

Hi,

when using a microcontroller, then it needs to wake up very often to do the multiplexing (if the LCD periferal has no HW mechanism for this).

Thus you could consider to use a dedicated I2C or SPI LCD driver IC. They usually are very low power.
The microcontroller just has to write the data to the LCD controller then may go into deep sleep.

Klaus

I think we are deviating from the topic. Please suggest from your experience. should I go with STM32L053R6T6 (or) PIC24FJ64GL306.

Hi,

I have some experience with custom LCDisplays ... and with low power applications.
Sadly neither exactly with the one nor the other microcontroller.

Klaus

Both have integral LCD control hardware and can handle all the requirements of that display.
The choice is yours, both seem suitable to me. My preference is towards the PIC series but that is only because I have 30+ years experience of using them, I'm sure ST devices are equally good.

Brian.

STM32L053R6T6 is 32 bit for one port while PIC24FJ64GL306 is 16 bit one a port. segment LCD has (com1-com8)that is for multiplexing and the other pins are data . may be the design (software or hardware ) requests the data driver from one port and more than 16 bit so the STM32L053R6T6 is the solution . please post the complete module of your segment not the Display type: FSTN/Positive

Status
Not open for further replies.