Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Starter - ARM - request for resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

movie_freak

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
at91rm9200+architecture+how to write codes

How and where to start, if i am a newbie on ARM. How to write code for ARM based controller and program it, if i only know using 8 bit AVR's. Also, to work on ARM 9.0 is it necessary to do some work on ARM 7.0 or i can simply start on ARM 9.0. I am little bit familiar with ARM 7.0 architecture. But never wrote any code.. :|

I am searching on Google also for the same.. but your valuable feedback would be really helpful :idea:

Any books, tutorials, related website links, anything would be helpful.

Many Thanks,
Surya

Re: Starter - ARM

movie_freak said:
How and where to start, if i am a newbie on ARM. How to write code for ARM based controller and program it, if i only know using 8 bit AVR's. Also, to work on ARM 9.0 is it necessary to do some work on ARM 7.0 or i can simply start on ARM 9.0.
No such thing like a ARM 7.0 it is called ARM7TDMI, some is true for ARM9, there is no ARM 9.0 They are not version 7.0 and 9.0 of a software although you could look at it that way. I would recommend to start with a Cortex-M3 based device because it is even simpler than an ARM7 and coming from an AVR, you will probably appreciate a simple 32-bit MCU. Examples for Cortex-M implementations can be found here: **broken link removed**
To answer your question about starting out immediately with ARM9, it is possible but your question does not indicate you are into this part of the embedded part enough that I would recommend you to try.

movie_freak said:
I am little bit familiar with ARM 7.0 architecture. But never wrote any code.. :|
I wonder how familiar you are, no offense ;-)

movie_freak said:
Any books, tutorials, related website links, anything would be helpful.|
Some links:
There is a so called Insider's Guide from Hitex, http://www.hitex.com/index.php?id=download-insiders-guides&L=1 available for devices from NXP and ST
Information about the LPC2000 devices from NXP is summarized here:
http://www.lpc2000.com
There is plenty of information on Keil's website http://www.keil.com
And there is still your friend for all questions that you already know, called Google.

hth, Bob

movie_freak said:
How and where to start, if i am a newbie on ARM. How to write code for ARM based controller and program it, if i only know using 8 bit AVR's.
Surya, why do you want to switch to ARMs? I'm not asking this question to dissuade you from moving to ARMs. The answer will just help determine what to do next.

Hi again,

I wanna know what OS would be better, does it depend on application to application?
I mean using Linux or Windows CE or any other...

According to my current requirements..
if it can be free(not necessarily though) as linux
easy to understand, i mean which takes less time to code, i mean less time to understand the os itself so that i can quickly start on my application code on it
program in C language
and i can use all features provided in ARM9 on AT91rm9200

Which one would be a better compiler/debugger out of the following i got to know abt:
KEIL or IAR or what is SAM-BA and SAM-PROG?

Many Thanks
Surya :!:

Hi
I have a project with ATSAM7S256, and using IAR embedded workbench.
But, I have some problem:
1: IDE: Using IAR embedded workbench.
2: Emulator: Using Sam-ba with USB port.

So, After I compile successful. I must convert .out file into binary file to using sam-ba. But, when I port .bin file to board, It don't run. I don't know why? Anyone help me?

And, Is the Cstartup.s79 is assembly file?
what is "RSEG INTRAMSTART_REMAP" code mean?
IAR compiles with error: "ERROR[116]: Section type missing". How can I fix that?

This is some code of Cstartup.s79 file.
Code:
		PROGRAM	?RESET
		RSEG	INTRAMSTART_REMAP
		RSEG	INTRAMEND_REMAP

RSEG	ICODE:CODE:ROOT(2)
		CODE32	; Always ARM mode after reset	
		org	0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com