Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Square wave inverter output too low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nonny_sgr

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

I have built a square wave inverter using the TL494 IC on a breadboard, I want to get 230V RMS, 50Hz at the output of the center-tap transformer, but I am getting 170V RMS and 60Hz (I have connected a 6W lamp as my load, does this have any effect? )
I calculated my oscillator frequency to be 50Hz using the formula 1.1/2*Rt*Ct (Rt=11k, Ct=1uF), but when I measure it I get 60Hz. I am using an oscilloscope to take all measurements because it is more accurate. I want to get my output voltage to be higher but I don't know how. I also anted to ask if there is a way for me to modify this circuit to give me a modified square wave. Please help me, I have attached a multisim printed picture of my circuit.

Attachments

• Inverter.pdf
    291.2 KB · Views: 262

Your topology sends square waves to the secondary. If you want 6W then you must draw average 0.5 Ampere from the 12V supply. (12 x 0.5 = 6W).

Volt waveforms at each end of your primary are square. However current waveforms through Q3 Q4 are sawtooth with peaks of 5 Amps. Can you verify that amount of current really goes through your primary section?

Your transformer is labelled 10.2. That is the correct step-up ratio for the entire primary. It has two windings. So each winding, when energized with 12 V, in effect steps it up 20x to amplitude 240 V square wave. It is clearer to call it that rather than RMS volts.

RMS implies a sinewave. 240 V RMS has peak amplitude of 340V. Did you expect to obtain 340V amplitude peaks from your project?

Hi,

There may be several problems
* a breadboard is not suitable for switching power applications
* a nominal battery will almost never output exactly 12V. A lead acid battery may have a range from 10.5V to 14.4V
* part tolerances may shift your frequency
* I recommend a decoupled supply for the IC
* I recommend fast bulk capacitors at 12V node

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back