Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spinning bicycle light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miroslavus

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I found this lights for bike called Revolights and i tought i'd buy it but they sell them 99$ 8-O(just front light). That is ridicolous price so i built it for 2$ instead. I ordered 100 SMD LEDs from china and with help of superglue, PCB and papeclips I built it. Works flawlessly :cool:. Check the video to see results for yourself.

How did you power the LEDs? With a fixed magnet and a coil mounted on the wheel?
What limits the current when the bike is moving fast?

And what makes only the leading\front of the wheel illuminated?

Very good - now it needs making more robust & waterproof so it's longer lasting.

It's powered by li-po battery which is mounted on the frame. Energy is then transfered similarly to brushes on brushed DC motor. This also determines when each light turns on and off. the very last shot in the video shows it well.

In todays modern world I thought they would make the circuit wireless and driven from a brushless alternator with magnets and coils replacing old brushes, wires and the battery.
Spinning coils on the wheel pass fixed magnets on the frame.

wow, that's nice! Well done! :O

Status
Not open for further replies.