Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solution for outputting a signal of 100KHz with -2 to +2 V

Status
Not open for further replies.

ants

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to output a signal of 100KHz with -2 to +2 volts. I have looked at a 555 timer but it seems it outputs only a positive signal.

Can someone recommend a chip that will do this?

Bipolar timer chip?

You could always power a 555 from +/-2V. Simply use the -2V supply instead of the 0V in all the 555 circuit connections.

Keith.

ants

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: Bipolar timer chip?

Try to use a capacitor on the 555's output (and a resistor as a load), it will cut-off dc and you will have a wave that is symmetrical with reference to GND ..

IanP
:D

ants

Bipolar timer chip?

I shall try both of those. Very good ideas.

Added after 4 hours 40 minutes:

I have made up the circuit in the diagram above. With the cap added to the output I get +1.3V and -2.0V. I've tried a few different values of cap and resistor load but no luck changing this.

Any ideas?

Have you tried different input voltages?

Bipolar timer chip?

I just halved the voltage supply and got+0.6 and - 1.2V

Added after 46 seconds:

I'll see if i can change the input voltage now

Bipolar timer chip?

The AC coupling idea will only really work with a 50:50 mark space ratio, otherwise the output will be offset.

Keith.

Bipolar timer chip?

Is the 50:50 mark space ratio the duty cycle? I.e. If I have the same on and off times for the output I will get the same positive and negative output, for example +0.5V and -0.5V ?

Bipolar timer chip?

Correct. What resistor/capacitor values and power supply voltage are you using?

Keith.

ants

Bipolar timer chip?

That is helpful thank you. I actually need a duty cycle of 50%. I just haven't adjusted the values for that, only frequency.

I can supply the full range of 5-15V. I want +2 to -2 output. The output will go to a potentiometer, essentially a volume control, and this to an amp.

Added after 3 minutes:

I need 100KHz, I'd actually prefer to find a duty cycle calculator and plug the numbers in to get the right cap and resistor values. I have been using this one.

https://totusterra.com/555timercalc.html

Any ideas?

Here is a nice trick that allows you to correct duty cycle to 50% without changing frequency:
**broken link removed**

IanP
:D

ants

Bipolar timer chip?

I just tried adding R3 but I dont get a signal output. Is there a particular value of R3 I should use?

Bipolar timer chip?

Hi,
Refer to to the tables pls in ElDesign Article-linked from JanP...
Do you have signal output if you connect a short over R3?
K.

ants

IanP said:
Here is a nice trick that allows you to correct duty cycle to 50% without changing frequency:
/quote]

Not so much a "trick" - just page 10 of the datasheet:

www.national.com/ds/LM/LM555.pdf

ants said:
I just tried adding R3 but I dont get a signal output. Is there a particular value of R3 I should use?

It would be useful if you posted all the component values you are using, including the C & R on the output.

Keith.

ants

Bipolar timer chip?

Oh I thought the link from IanP would take me to the schematic diagram, not another page. I've just realised. I do have an output if I short out R3. I am currently using c=10nF, R1=680, R2= 47, R3=47

Thanks.

Added after 2 minutes:

Ultimately I want the 50% duty cycle so I can use a cap to get a +2 to -2V output that is uniform. Those values won't give the 100KHz I need, I've changed them while trying to understand how to get the duty cycle working at 50%. This is a work in progress :)

Bipolar timer chip?

I would suggest you decrease the capacitor to 1nF or even smaller and increase the resistors proportionally. 47 ohms is very low.

Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back