Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SIWave vs Xpedition

kato01

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am a new to the PCB industry, so please forgive my ignorance.
I am looking for a software package that is based on full-wave solution (such as FEM and FDTD).
I know HFSS Layout is based on MOM with analytical Green's function, as well as former IE3D and SONNET.
I am looking now at SiWave and Mentor Graphics.

Q: what is the difference between SiWave and Mentor Graphics Xpedition?
Does any of them have the FEM capability?

Thank you

But the software packages which you mentioned are not same. They serve for different purposes.
For instance while SONNET and HFSS target High Frequency/Microwave Devices, SiWave and Siemens Hyperlynx target Signal Integrity applications such as High Speed PCBs. So, their targets are different.
So, when you choose a software package, you have to know what target you would use for.

I was referring to the "HFSS Layout" (former Ansoft Designer) not the FEM HFSS

I was referring to the "HFSS Layout" (former Ansoft Designer) not the FEM HFSS
HFSS Layout is not an appropriate for PCB layout Design.
If your purpose is to draw RF/Microwave Layouts, it's OK. But it's so expensive to draw a PCB layout.
Siemens Expedition is also too expensive because it's not a simple PCB Layout package. It's a very complicated package including many sub packages.
If you say something about your purpose, I can say something more precise.

If I'm not wrong, you would draw a PCB layout then simulate it in à FEM software, right ? And you want to use a single package for that.
If these layouts are precise so the dimensions are critical, I would use AutoCAD (or similar one) software then transfer my layout onto EM simulator such as SONNET or HFSS.

If you target is to draw a Layout then simulate for High Speed purpose, Cadence Allegro is another option with some valuable features. Even OrCAD has same features.

BigBoss,

Thank you for your response. I am wondering which one is more accurate and reliable. Strictly from the electromagnetic modeling point of view.

BigBoss,

Thank you for your response. I am wondering which one is more accurate and reliable. Strictly from the electromagnetic modeling point of view.
If its accuracy and reliability is important, I recommend you to go with Industry Standard HFSS.
But..
It's so expensive and source eater. Especially memory requirement of a relatively large problems reach to undesirable levels.
If you're looking for a budget limited solution, SONNET is a very good choice. SONNET Pro is less than 30K $. There are other packages that are much less expensive.

There are also very effective packages such as EMPIRE, Cadence EMX, Cadence AWR.
But if you say " I have lot of money" Go with Keysight ADS. MoM and FDTD solutions are available in a single package.

For EMPIRE, contact to Dr. Volker Muehlhaus in forum.

Mentor/Siemens Expedition has no signal integrity or wave solver features. It's cooperating with Hyperlynx for this purpose.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back