Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simulating CG LNA from razavi book. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

coxstreet

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
stimulating CG LNA as the step from the book. But the gain is extremely low and NF is also not well. Pls help me! using TSMC018, 5.5 GHz, narrowband lna. Thankyou!

Attachments

• my circuit.png
    my circuit.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 76
  • CG LNA.png
    CG LNA.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 76
  • S21.png
    S21.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 64
  • GA.png
    GA.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 67
  • NF.png
    NF.png
    6 KB · Views: 74
  • S11.png
    S11.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 66

Is it me or some values are different than those presented in the book?Even the transistor ratios are different..

First.. How do you know Razavi has used TSMC 0.18 process ??
Second... Razavi has never terminated the output of the LNA by 50 Ohm, look at it carefully you'll see that is open circuit.That's why Gp is very low.
Third..Have ever you checked the Operating Points of MOSs??

Yeah those are different. I just use the steps to calculate the parameters. BUT the performance is quite bad...

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for your reply! The operating points of MOSs are OK.
Razavi is not but I want to use the process to calculate the parameters following the steps by the book. Yeah, you re right that the output of the LNA is not 50 Ohms but I am little confused about "open circuit". How can I fix the problem? Sorry for the rookie question. Thank you!
First.. How do you know Razavi has used TSMC 0.18 process ??
Second... Razavi has never terminated the output of the LNA by 50 Ohm, look at it carefully you'll see that is open circuit.That's why Gp is very low.
Third..Have ever you checked the Operating Points of MOSs??

Yeah those are different. I just use the steps to calculate the parameters. BUT the performance is quite bad...

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for your reply! The operating points of MOSs are OK.
Razavi is not but I want to use the process to calculate the parameters following the steps by the book. Yeah, you re right that the output of the LNA is not 50 Ohms but I am little confused about "open circuit". How can I fix the problem? Sorry for the rookie question. Thank you!
Don't do s-parameter simulation while the output is open circuited, do AC simulation instead..
For noise, do a simply NF simulation.

Yeah thank you! just finish it!
NO need to do output matching. And use the ac analysis to simulate voltage gain.
Thank you!
Don't do s-parameter simulation while the output is open circuited, do AC simulation instead..
For noise, do a simply NF simulation.

BigBoss, I am confused about the pad capacitor in the picture of 1st floor. Is it parallel or series with Rs? Thank you!

BigBoss, I am confused about the pad capacitor in the picture of 1st floor. Is it parallel or series with Rs? Thank you!
This capacitor represents "parasitic capacitance" of Bondpad because of metalic layer and difussion layer and it's always defined as Bondpad to GND.So, it's parallel..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back