Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Signal conditioning Op Amp choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

flash23

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to connect an RTD to 0804ADC for signal conditioning i need to obtain a gain of 69.1
Here are further details
ip to op-amp 0V to 72.35V
op req 0 to 5V
I think Opamp 741 will not be satisfactory in this case but TLV 2471 will do .
What i really want is which Opamp should i use? either above or any other

rail to rail means TLV 2741 but what are the advantages of it over the 741

Normally for an op amp to drive an ADC you look for low DC offset, low drift over temp, and low noise. A 741 is about as bad as they come for these specs. An ADC0804 being only an 8 bit ADC noise performance is not that important unless going with a lot of gain in front of ADC.

With a gain of 69.1 you need to pay attention to op amp DC offset drift. It is desirable to keep drift to less then 1/16 to 1/8 of 1 bit resolution.

The ADC0804 is going to be about 17-18 mV per step so its ADC input DC drift should be less then 1 or 2 mV dc. A standard op amp will have a worse case 1 mV input offset. Gain that up and you have a significant offset to null out at ADC calibration. Then you need op amp not to drift its offset versus temp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.