Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RTL Source Compatibilty across the different make FPGAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nani_n13

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a RTL for lattice fpga. Can i use it for xilinx device ?? if not... what are the issues related to it??? please help me....

It depends how the code is written. If its using vendor specific libraries, then no. But if it's doing stuff like using arrays to infer ram, you may be ok.

thank you very much.....

---------- Post added at 22:06 ---------- Previous post was at 21:53 ----------

.... recently we bought a rtl. supplier is claiming that that is a device independent rtl, but when i was trying to synthesis.... there were some errors, because he inferred lattice device block rams in that. Can you please tell me when we buy device independent rtls...things that need special focus..????? and tell me some tips to validate the rtl.

sometimes device dependence is unavoidable. Rams may work differently in lattice to Xilinx (but they should be basically the same). I would check the code yourself and complain to the supplier.

if your design contains some RAMs. I'm afraid RTL can't be totally independant because each vendors have their own RAMs.
But it is not a big work to change the instantiation of RAMs in the RTL.

Actually many companies have guidelines to write high level code to make your design device independent.

RTLs which are tied up with specific FPGA architecture are the ones which are least portable. To make it work on FPGAs by other vendors you've to fix those architectural dependencies.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back