Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reading solar charge details via GPRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsolar

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello and thank you for your assistance.

I have finally jumped on the solar bandwagon, trying to minimize my carb-print and so on ... I've installed some solar panels on my roof and few solar flood lights around my house.
Being the geek that I am, I asked my installer for a way to transmit the charge status and few other details so I can see them from a web interface (and earn some bragging points wherever I go ...)

My installer has proposed to install a GPRS controller on each solar unit, which will transmit inputs from few sensors via GPRS. My question is this:

How do I read this information via the GPRS network ? If there is a "call" made as I understand it, how do I "pick up" on a regular internet server ?
I am a software engineer dealing a lot with internet programming so I have the background, but I just can't wrap my head around the hardware part of the story.

Do I need a GPRS "modem" to transfer incoming contact to a local server ? I think it means I need a static IP, no ? What is that piece of hardware/modem ?
Can I use an ISP to provide me with that static IP or "phone number" on the internet and forward the data to a shared hosting environment as an XML or even CSV file ?

Thank you !
Any link or pointer would help, I appreciate your time and effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.