Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reading PWM input with PIC16F15223

Olyr

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, everyone! I am new to microcontrollers and for my project using PIC16F15223 to capture PWM signal and send this data via I2C.

I want to use CCP modules, but not sure whether to connect both of them (get rising and falling edges) to get Period and Duty-Cycle or only one would suffice (reconfigure control bits after each event). Are any limiting resistors needed?

Also, I am not sure how to access captured data to further transfer.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi,

What does "reading PWM input" mean for you?
Maybe you mean duty cycle. Then hopefully your hardware is suitable to do this (correct signal voltage levels and timing).
You need to first forget about microcontroller, CCP module, I2C ...
--> first need to define the requirements.
Like:
* PWM frequency range
* duty cycle range
* duty cycle jitter
* what exactly you want to measure? (What information do you want to send)
* what resolution do you need
* what precision and accuracy do you expect?

I know, these might be question you did not care until now. But it´s important to do first things first.
Different values/requirements will cause different solutions.

There are many informations in the internet .. and discussions here in the forum.
Also there are software examples and code explanations. There even are videos...

It is expected to read through some of them.

Are any limiting resistors needed?
To limit what? Voltage, current, power dissipation, rise time...??

The most obvious would be V or I ... but still we need your application´s requirements, operation conditions and specifications.
You give zero information on this.

Klaus

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: