Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions about porting Linux OS on Microblaze with Virtex6 board

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttxs

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a ML605 evaluation board.

I have ISE13.4 on my Windows PC, and I installed ISE Webpack 14.7 on my Ubuntu laptop.

What I want to do is to run a simple linux OS on microblaze.

First, I use XPS and SDK on my Windoes PC to generate ise_top.bit and xilinx.dts.

Then, I download a linux-xlnx on my ubuntu computer. After copying my xilinx.dts to /arch/microblaze/boot/..., I use the following to commands to add the path:

export CROSS_COMPILE = microblazeel-xilinx-linux-gnu-

export PATH=/opt/Xilinx/14.7/ISE_DS/EDK/gnu/microblaze/linux-toolchain/lin64_le/bin:$PATH

Then, I followed some online manual to peform:

make ARCH=microblaze sp605_le_defconfig (This sp605 file did not exist in the linux folder, I downloaded it)

make ARCH=microblaze menuconfig (I checked the platform options)

make ARCH=microblaze simpleImage.xilinx (When I came accross some errors about "mkimage", I simpley use sudo apt-get install u-boot-tools to get around that, which I guess is not very safe)

Finally, I got 2 files ready: simpleImage.xilinx (4.5MB) and simpleImage.xilinx.unstrip (5.5MB).

Do you think the size looks right? What is the .unstrip file used for?

The above operations are all I did to generate simpleImage.xilinx.

However, when I went back to my Windows PC to open Xilinx tools->Launch shell ..... fpga -f ise_top.bit... connect mb mdm...dow simpleImage.xilinx...con...., I saw nothing displayed on my serial port terminal (TeraTerm).

Is there any important step that I probably missed? Maybe it is about U-boot, if so could you please me some suggestions on how to finish the "U-boot step" of this experiment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back