Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Query on MOSFET

FreshmanNewbie

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
There's this MOSFET (https://mm.digikey.com/Volume0/opasdata/d220001/medias/docus/414/SH8K5.pdf)

The gate threshold range for this MOSFET is given as 1V to 2.5V from the table (but from the table I see this value is for a drain current of only 1mA).

My question is, I want to get a drive current of 1A. In that case, What should be the maximum allowable gate-source threshold voltage I can give?

Seeing the graph below, Gate-Source voltage vs Drain current, the maximum gate-source voltage that is shown is 3V.

So my question is:

1. What is the maximum gate-source voltage that I can give to get a drain current of 1A?

2. What if I give 10V as gate-source voltage? - I know that I won't damage the MOSFET as the maximum gate-source voltage that is mentioned in the datasheet is 20V. So, what would happen if I give 10V as Vgs?

Step back and declare whether your "1A" is a
-controlled- 1A with tolerance and load resistance
rejection, or -at least- 1A with negligible loss in the
switch.

If I had to guess I'd say the latter. And that everything
to the right of Vgs=3 is just "more of the same" (until
you rupture the gate ox). But guessing is not a good
use of peoples' time.

There's this MOSFET (https://mm.digikey.com/Volume0/opasdata/d220001/medias/docus/414/SH8K5.pdf)

The gate threshold range for this MOSFET is given as 1V to 2.5V from the table (but from the table I see this value is for a drain current of only 1mA).

My question is, I want to get a drive current of 1A. In that case, What should be the maximum allowable gate-source threshold voltage I can give?

Seeing the graph below, Gate-Source voltage vs Drain current, the maximum gate-source voltage that is shown is 3V.

So my question is:

1. What is the maximum gate-source voltage that I can give to get a drain current of 1A?

2. What if I give 10V as gate-source voltage? - I know that I won't damage the MOSFET as the maximum gate-source voltage that is mentioned in the datasheet is 20V. So, what would happen if I give 10V as Vgs?
great, big RTFM for you. There’s a plot of drain current vs Vgs. There’s another plot of Rds vs Vgs. What more do you need????

The data sheet tells all.

If you are using it as a switch, this shows that the minimum Vgs on voltage should be 4V:
1712692615982.png

This shows the maximum Vgs you can apply without damage:
1712692576642.png

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back