Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quarter Wave Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravindran

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi we are doing a project on Patch antenna. So we need a quarter wave transformer for impedance matching.
But the length of the quarter wave transformer will exceed the substrate size of the antenna. So is it necessary to have lamda/4 length for the transformer. I read that the width of the line is important for getting the right impedance. please help....

I can assume that your antenna has its dimensions longer than a half wavelength. Then you can use the same or a similar substrate to make the quarter-wave transformer as needed. Any handbook on striplines will give you the information of the line width defining lined impedance.

Having no information from you on the operating frequency, I can only suggest that impedance transformers can also be made with lumped elements and small size. As you do a project, you must study well everything you need to succeed.

I think using a Stepped impedance Resonator is the only way for u to reduce the size.. Atleast to wt i can think of now..!! Stepped impeance resonators (SIR) are made to give behaviour of a certain electrical length by a reduced electrical length in proportion to the ratio of two impedance steps..!! U'L find info on it easily..!!
Do reply if it works..!!

Regards..

We are designing a patch antenna loaded with a csrr structure to reduce the freq.
the operating freq of the simple patch that we r using is 10ghz and after we load it with a csrr structure the freq is reduced to 3.28ghz.The csrr structure is placed on the ground plane.
patch size:-
L=6.4899mm
w=9.1287mm
substrate size:-
l=16mm
w=19mm

We are designing a patch antenna loaded with a csrr structure to reduce the freq.
the operating freq of the simple patch that we r using is 10ghz and after we load it with a csrr structure the freq is reduced to 3.28ghz.The csrr structure is placed on the ground plane.
patch size:-
L=6.4899mm
w=9.1287mm
substrate size:-
l=16mm
w=19mm

I do not know what "csrr" structure is. But as you use a dielectric substrate, the lambda is shorter than that in air. Therefore you can use the same substrate to make the quarter-wave transformer.

You can use meanders in the line of the transformer.
Regards

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back