Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Protection against Higher Power Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

shahbaz.ele

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all
I am using a motor driver. The datasheets recommends that do not apply more than 52.5Volts as Input Power to Motor Driver.
I have a Battery of 55 Volts.
How can I protect the Motor Driver using this battery.
One option in my mind is to use a series resistor, would it be a good option ?
Or Any other suggestion Please.

Hi,

No. A series resistor drops voltage according current.
When motor is not powered there is no current thus no voltage drop, thus you get full battery voltage.
On the other hand when motor is powered and draws current it will waste a lot of energy and dissipates a lot of heat.

Use a step down DCDC converter or use a motor driver that widthstands 55V plus headroom.

Klaus

Last edited:

Hi,

How much minimum and maximum current will pass through the motor driver, out of curiosity?

There are some fairly low cost buck switcher DC-DC converters that can take 60-80 vdc input.

Cost wll depend on your DC current requirement.

LT8705 can do your 55v to 52.5v conversion, as long as power is not too high.

hello
any step down regulator you would use it must bear the max. current (6 Amp) . with drop voltage equals
(55-52.2)volt . any liner regulator of more than(2.5 volt *6A= 15 Watt)(say25 Watt) can delivers (6 Amp) is acceptable i recommend using an NPN darlington transistor(power dissp. 50 watt) with voltage reference on base ("B pin") equals(52.5+1.7=54.2 volt)

Kamal

Status
Not open for further replies.