Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

proggrammer to read/write 16MB/32MB CMOS SERIAL FLASH CHIPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiJack

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
spi eeprom 16mb

Hi all

im looking for a USB programmer/software to read/write CMOS SERIAL FLASH CHIPS, these chips are a new style of SPI motherboard bios chips aswell as being used for a lot other hardware including monitors/modems.

ive tried older type SPI programmers but they wont work as the software for them will only allow approx 712k of data to be read.

as these new SPI chips are becoming more and more popular now i really need to find a schematic/layout for a USB programmer that will be compatible with these chips.

i know there are a lot of programmers on the market which will do the job but they are silly amounts of money which i just havnt got, plus it wouldnt justfy buying one of them just to use as a hobby and little electronics repair.

ive been looking for about a month now for schematics/layout but all to no avail, then i dropped on this forum which really looks promising (i hope so:)) )

so if anyone has any idea's or info on where to aquire such information i would highly appreciate this.

TIA
Regards
Hj

cmos serial flash programmer

One of the earlier flash cards was MMC. This was later replaced by SD cards. Both of these could be read in SPI mode. With this info, I would suggest attempting to wire one of these devices to an SD adapter and try a standard USB card reader. This may work, if the device has something resembling a file system on it. If the device is just a linear memory array, then you would have to use a disk imaging program to grab or replace an exact snapshot.

32mb serial eeprom

banjo said:
One of the earlier flash cards was MMC. This was later replaced by SD cards. Both of these could be read in SPI mode. With this info, I would suggest attempting to wire one of these devices to an SD adapter and try a standard USB card reader. This may work, if the device has something resembling a file system on it. If the device is just a linear memory array, then you would have to use a disk imaging program to grab or replace an exact snapshot.

Hi
Thankyou for your reply and input:)

i thought it best to upload a pdf for the above SPI Chip/s so to give people a clearer idea of what the chips involve.

these chips require special software commands to be able to read/write to them so im not really sure a card reader would do the job as all this would allow is basic copy/paste techniques.

as im not sure about this please correct me if im wrong.

Thx

regs
Hj

software to read & write chips

Looking at the datasheet, this Flash device does not contain a controller. Therefore, a card reader most likely will not work, as they expect a controller sitting in front of the flash.

Did you look at:
https://microcontrollershop.com/product_info.php?cPath=61&products_id=155

This serial port EEPROM programmer claims to do the 25 series. (It claims to run USB with a USB to serial converter.) True, your device is not listed. However, this is often just a firmware change. It often has to do with the size and number of internal memory pages. I would suggest contacting them about either getting the source code to the firmware or seeing if they can add support for your device. Since adding support for your device makes their product more sellable, they will sometimes do this if A: you buy the programmer and B: you supply them with sample parts to test their code with.

Finally, did you contact the EEPROM manufacturer? Often, they have simple test circuits and programming code that they supply to engineers using their product. Their main focus is selling chips. If some simple piece of hardware or software is required to drive sales, they will often supply it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back