Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Processing/Sampling IQ signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

himadri117

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Signal Characteristics: The IF (I/Q) signal consists of a DC component and an AC component.

DC Component: 2.52V; AC Component: 1.72 – 2.04 V (V P-P); BW: 20Hz - 500kHz; Power: 20dB

Requirement: Now I want to digitize this signal for further processing. I prefer a sampling at 1 MSPS with ADC and then porting digital data to PC using a FPGA over SPI interface.

Problem: The problem is, the signal with DC and AC component ranges from 3.5V to -1.5V with 2.5V from DC and almost 1V from positive cycle or negative cycle of the AC signal. Now I can use a coupled capacitor to block the Dcand use the AC for processing. My choice of ADC reference voltage is almost 2V-2.5V (for good resolution usability of ADC) so the signal can be amplified. But this signal have a negative part which I think is not good for a linear behavious for the ADC, as it has no negative reference voltage level. ADC reference is from 1V-5V. Using a rectifier is not a good choice from my view.

Question: How can I digitize this signal? Also comment on my views if not correct as I have only theoretical knowledge and never worked on a practical project.

You have a few options:
1. Block the DC with a capacitor and use an ADC with a differential input. The negative values won't matter then.
2. Block the DC with a capacitor and include an offset circuit with a fast OpAmp.
3. Use a center tap transformer in the input.

What you must keep in mind is that you do not want to create a phase difference between the I and Q channels. Therefore what you do on one must exactly match what's done on the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.