Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power supply instrument to be controlled through Windows PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

digiboy

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need ideas on how to interface/control a bipolar constant current supply instrument (BCS150) with a windows PC, preferably over USB. The instrument has a -5VDC to +5VDC analog input to control its output current (from -ve full scale to +ve full scale respectively.). I've written a MATLAB program that calculates the required control voltage. Now i need to send it to the instrument as analog voltage. I'd like suggestions on the hardware and software required.

Tiny ARM based controllers with Analog I/O exist for $20 with lots of serial interfaces like SPI USB.

But your software requirements are not defined for signal profile, processing, bandwidth, User interface.
The +/-5V to full scale output requires a card with bipolar supplies or a negative -5V pump regulator.

i thought of using an MSP430F449 with a TI DAC8832. **broken link removed**
what's your opinion on this, and what software would i need in this case? as for the signal, it has to be a DC voltage in the range +5 to -5 V and it wouldn't be varying continuously. resolution on the computer side needs to be atleast 10 bits.

about the controller boards, a bit more specificity would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.