Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pico Technology 5444D PC Based Oscilloscope - Continuous Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

engr_joni_ee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I would to know if with Pico Technology 5444D PC Based Oscilloscope, it is possible to save continuous data in the PC with sampling rate 100 kilo samples per second, where each sample is 12 bit ? If the sampling rate is a problem then what is the maximum sampling rate I can get with Pico Scope 5444 D when saving 12 bit samples continuously for 1 hrs.

The datasheet specifies continuous streaming with > 10 MS/s, did you even read it?

Its complicated. USB 3.0 is up to 5Gbps (625MB/s). Depends if your PC is an early
adopter of USB 3.0 and its driver.

Depends on driver and implementation on PC side. And hard disk speed.
You can find utilities online that test speed of you system and its hard drive.
Google "utility speed test hard disk" to see if its up to your needs.

100 k S/S x 12 bits / sample = 1.2M bits /sec. You want that for 1 hour, so :

1.2 M b/s x 3600 secs/hour x 1 byte/ 8 bits =540 M bytes

Regards, Dana.

What maximum data rate I can get with USB 2.0 driver for continuous run ? I guess there will also be packet headers which I am not sure how much bandwidth they consume.

USB 2.0 transfer speed is 480 megabits per second (Mbps), while USB 3.0 transfer speed is 4,800 Mbps.
This means USB 3.0 is approximately 10 times faster than USB 2.0.

Regards, Dana.

Hi,

There are many parameters that influence true payload data rate. PC, hubs (internal and external), other connected USB devices...

Klaus

I have used this scope in trigger based repeat capture mode which means that when the signal is above the trigger threshold the waveform will be captured for the given time window and then the scope will be ready for another capture. All the waveforms are stored in the buffer memory. How to save the data ? I need to save the data manually File => Save. Is it possible to save the data in the file automatically when the buffer is full ?

Second question is about the continuous streaming, do I need to disable trigger in data streaming ? I see there is an option None in trigger when I chose that the continuous signal is there but how to save the data in file ?

Operations that are not supported by the standard PC software shipped with the scope USB can be implemented with the provided programming interface (API).

I am not sure how do we run and save the continuous data with this scope ? Do I need to make API for that purpose ?

Hi, I am still looking for reply. I need to have continuous run and save all the raw data in the PC software without any trigger, like we normally do with Labview NI DAQ cards.

Consider to find it out yourself. I guess API programming is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back