Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Op Amp Square Wave Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

videophreak90

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pardon me for having very little knowledge on this, but I need some help.

**broken link removed**

I took on the task of making this square wave generator from my teacher, both of us have very little knowledge on circuitry, go figure. I have a few questions regarding the components and wiring. I have a zerox of the page from the book she got it from, unfortunately the instructions are, well there are none.

1.) are R5 and R7 also pententiometers like R2?

2.) would I have to use a 1/8th stereo plug or jack to connect to the output (6), and where do I connect the positive and negative wires?

3.) I'm using a 9v battery to power this, should I be using a wall plug instead (anywhere from 5-15v)?

4.) where do I connect the positive and negative wires on the power supply? I believe the positive is up top and the negative is the very last arrow, connected to the ground, right?

I have all of the components ready to go (except for the other two pententiometers, if needed), I'm just having a little trouble with some wiring issues.

Thanks in advance!

..are R5 and R7 also potentiometers like R2?

Yes, they are potentiometers but you can also use VRs (variable resistor) that can be adjusted with a small screwdriver ..

2.) would I have to use a 1/8th stereo plug or jack to connect to the output (6), and where do I connect the positive and negative wires?

If you use a plug (eg. jack) it’s just easier to connect to something like power amplifier, so you can ‘hear’ the generated wave ..
I’d add 1k resistor between the output [6] and the jack’s centre pin, just in case ..
The shield goes to the GND, or negative pole [opamp's pin 4] ..

I'm using a 9v battery to power this, should I be using a wall plug instead (anywhere from 5-15v)?

You can us both, from the circuit point of view doesn’t make any difference ..
The advantage of a wall plug is that you will always have power, whereas after a while the battery will deteriorate ..

4.) where do I connect the positive and negative wires on the power supply? I believe the positive is up top and the negative is the very last arrow, connected to the ground, right?

You’ve got 3 arrows on the diagram: the top one goes to the battery(+) or power supply(+), the middle one to the right is the output and the bottom one to the right is the negative (or GND – ground) pole and it is connected to the battery (-) or power supply (-) ..

Rgds,
IanP

Thank you very much, I did get it to work. I wired a pair of old speakers onto the board and it works great. The only thing is that the 1M ohm pententiometer does nothing that I can notice. Now to solder it onto a circuit board!

Added after 1 hours 54 minutes:

well, I screwed up soldering it to the blank board, so I just put it back onto the breadboard. Somehow I managed to get the 1M ohm pententiometer to work. I'll just give it to her like this, it was optional after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.