Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with Audio intercom design circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schema inc.

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, to Everyone I'm wanting to create a simple 2way Voice Actuated Intercom circuit that has a on-off toggle switch and a SQ(Squelch) that will allow voice actuated operation for variations in background noise levels and differences in headset microphones and a Volume control using an Op-Amp chip of sorts and been trying to find any similar circuits on the net with no luck or nor how to even begin the design?

*2 headphone Audio stereo jack(6.35mm) plugins in the rear and 2 microphone plugin jacks
*Power supply voltage between 10-12VDC
*Want to use a rs-232 connector for transmitting data to and from a computer through (software)

I hope someone can help point me in the right direction? Thank you

Start by explaining exactly what you need, that description doesn't mean anything.

The type of plug/socket is irrelevant to the design.
Is the power sourced from AC line or battery, are there constraints on current consumption?
RS232 is an electrical specification for serial data communication, not a connector.
What part does the computer play in this?
What is the data?

I'm afraid "using an Op-Amp of sorts" is not a product specification.

Brian.

Years ago, Motorola produced speakerphone ICs that can be used for voice-activated intercoms with compensation for background noises. I built a circuit with the original one and it worked perfectly. Later versions were even better. Look in Google for Mororola Speakerphone ICs. Many hoarders on ebay sell them or their fakes for very high and very low prices.

Here is a full duplex intercom. The trimpots R7 are adjusted to cancel feedback howling.
The switches mute the mics. Full details at redcircuits.com

Attachments

• Intercom full duplex.gif
    Intercom full duplex.gif
    6.9 KB · Views: 153

Hi, thanks Sorry for the poor explanation.

I will try to clarify better - a 2way intercom Circuit(System), where 2 people can plug in the mic headset and talk when push to talk button is pressed. like pilots in a cockpit eg.

**Front panel I'm building will have Squelch knob a on off toggle switch and Volume knob: (Standard 5K potentiometer)**
**Rear Panel will have 2 x Female Audio stereo jacks(6.35mm) for headset with microphone to be plugged in **Like Attachment bellow
**I want to power the circuit from a AC wall socket power plug:
INPUT: 220V 50-60HZ (0.3A Max)
OUTPUT: 12DC= 2A

Attachments

• Avionics headset.JPG
    Avionics headset.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 73

"Voice Activated" is when you talk, your speaker is shut off and when the other end receives your voice their microphone is shut off. When the other end talks when you have finished talking then their speaker is shut off and your mic is shut off. Then there is no acoustical feedback howling problem.

Now you say you have headsets, not speakers (then there is no feedback howling) and are in a noisy airplane (no muffler?) and use a push-to-talk arrangement with switches. You will need a headset amplifier for each headset.

Status
Not open for further replies.