Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved] Electronic Design Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy_con

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi im new here and this is my first post.

A little about me and what I do and why im here, sorry this is going to be a long post!

To start with electronics really aren’t my thing, I struggle with them.

I design and build laser modules and projectors for show use, the kind of laser projectors you see at big festivals etc… (not cheap night club poo).
I have a complete metal workshop in my garage with two cnc milling machines, with auto tool changers, coolant flood etc… I machine all my own parts.

Currently for building full projectors I buy in cases and the electronics, but I want to make a high quality projector with my own case design. So included in that would be some fancy electronics to run and control everything.

Currently the best projectors money can buy would be RTI –

https://www.laserworld.com/en/show-...-piko-yc13-show-laser-display-358-detail.html

RTI’s have this really fancy, very clever control panel at the back which tells you everything and does everything. As you can see from the price not cheap bits of kit, sadly my projector wouldn’t be anywhere near this price.

So what is everything I hear you ask, well…

The actual laser diodes need to be driven, normally I use something like this –

https://www.photonlexicon.com/forum...diode-and-TEC-smart-driver-)?highlight=driver
https://www.photonlexicon.com/forum...Channel-Highside-driver?highlight=dual+driver

diode voltage ranges from about 2v to 6v and round 100ma to 2amps, so the driver needs to be adjustable. The driver needs to be able to modulation the diode (on/off) at a min speed of 50khz
normally there is more than one diode in a projector so I run 2 diodes per driver in series, so id be looking for 4 separate (although joined like second link above.) drivers need to be high sided. A lot of diodes have the pins connected to the case. Driver also needs beam suppression.

green lasers are very different to most other lasers, you cant build them in your garage. A driver for a green would need to output something like 2-3v a 10amps with modulation.

Now some diodes need to be kept below certain temps, so included in the driver needs to be a Tec control system, a tec being –

**broken link removed**

in cold conditions a diode needs to be warmed to a set temp, and hot conditions the diode needs to be cooled to a set temp. this help keep the diode stable and makes for a good life. Id be looking for 3x separate tec setups one for red, green and blue.

Next everything in a projector is mounted on a big heat sink, this is cooled by fans, you don’t want the fans on all the time as if the projector is cold they are not needed. I would be looking to use like 2x 80mm fans to cool the heat sink. So again these need to be temperature controlled.

In an ideal work it would be nice to put a single voltage in to one control system to power all the above.

And to top it all out some kind of fancy screen giving some information to the user.

I understand this isn’t a simple request but am wondering can anyone help?

will check it out many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.