Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[moved] bluetooth? UFH? ASK 433/315MHZ? Close range radar application

Status
Not open for further replies.

XioPod

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm starting a project to build a mobile app that will be used to locate objects, namely disc golf frisbees. My idea is each disc will have a sticker/tag underneath and people will use their smart phones to find a lost disc. Knowing the distance you are away from the object is key. Getting the user within a few feet is my target.

Think about the golfer that threw the disc into some thick trees or maybe had a blind tee shot and wasn't sure where it landed. They could open this app and hopefully lead them towards the disc (getting hot/cold indication).

I'm hoping you guys can give me some advise and ideas on what to use, I've looked at several options and none of them are a perfect fit..

My first thought was Bluetooth 4.0 beacons. Newer phones can read them and there are algorithms to approximate the distance based on signal strength. I got a few StickNFind beacons for about $20 each, not bad but still a bit much for a player wanting to track five+ items. I would have to drop $100 just for my drivers.. They are also a bit heavy at about 5 grams and have a battery life of only a year. I'm also concerned about how well the adhesive will stick after a few hard landings or getting them wet.

I looked at NFC and LF/HF RFID but the range makes it useless for this. unless I'm missing something?

I like the idea of UHF RFID, the stickers are cheap and from what I understand I can get a reader that reaches past 10 meters, that would be more than enough, but the price out of my range.. I saw cheaper ones saying 3-6 meters, which would be fine, but portable versions were still expensive! And how would I tie this back to the phone? RS232 to Bluetooth adapter?

Is there any way to tell how far the sticker is from the reader? I assume direction is easy since most antennas need to point at it, or do they?

I came across this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/922...ture-Network-Zigbee-Bluetooth/1746117410.html

Wasn't sure if that works with passive tags or how good the specs really are.. (sorry I'm a n00b :-( )

I also saw "ASK 433/315MHZ" but wasn't sure what this is, I need to research it more.. I think its active UHF or something?

Now that I'm in WAAAY over my head, I thought I'd turn to you guys to get me on the right path. All thoughts and ideas welcome, I look forward to your input (sorry for the rambling)

Status
Not open for further replies.