Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modifying Relation to BCNF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soham1087

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I came across the following experiment while studying DBMS and normalization. Regarding the following issue:

Consider the relation R(b,e,s,t,r,o,n,g) with functional dependencies

b,s -> e,r,o,n
b -> t
b -> g
n -> b
o -> r

(a) identify candidate keys

(b) identify prime attributes

(c) state the highest normal form of this table

I think that (a) would be {b, s} since they identify all attributes without redundancy.

(b) would also be {b, s} since they compose the candidate keys of (a).
For a number of factors, (c) would be 1-NF. Due to the existence of the partial dependency n -> b, 2-NF is not satisfied. The aforementioned functional dependency is partial since it only depends on b and not s. Since o -> r implies that one non-prime characteristic depends on another non-prime property, it does not meet 3-NF. Due to 3-NF's unsatisfactoriness, BCNF is not satisfied.
Last but not least, if I changed the table till it was in BCNF, It would divide the relation R into:

R1(b, e, s, r, o, n) with b, s -> e, r, o, n

and,

R2(b, t, g) with b -> t and b -> g

while satisfying BCNF by removing the n->b and o->r?

Regarding fulfilling BCNF, the last section is where I am most perplexed. Any advice you could provide me would be highly appreciated on all steps!

Status
Not open for further replies.