Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

@ltium General Usage Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

overvoltage

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I upgraded from Prote1 99 to the current version of @ltium late last year and have installed the last two updates.

My boss has the license in his name so I can't access the official boards at all. My boss also thought it would be convenient for me to have a brand new laptop so I can work on the go.

My system is incredible slow it's not even funny.

T5750 2.00GHz
Vista 64-bit
4 GB ram
GeForcce 9500M GS

I am on a Wireless-G network with all projects and libraries on the server.

If I double click on a symbol in a schematic it takes 7 seconds for the dialog to appear.

It takes 45 seconds to add a schematic to a project.

For everything I do I seriously wonder if it's crashed or if I need to wait a few more minutes.

I am not talking PCB layout here. The UI in general is slower than mud. You can take a coffee break waiting for the File menu to drop down.

If you type in the name of a symbol, it acts like it's searching the all libraries for each letter that you type. Can I shut that off?

Task Manager rarely shows dxp.exe go above 7 percent CPU. The computer is essentially idle while I am waiting.

I tried compiling my libraries. That took about half an hour.

Could someone tell me about their performance and what changes I need to make?

Thanks,
overvoltage

I am also using the latest (Winter 09 I think) release. A couple of simple suggestions.

1.. Don't use Vista!
2.. Always work with files locally then copy them back to the server.

We use CVS, so I check-out my design files from the server and work locally. My machine is a Pentium 4 3GHz with 1.25gb RAM, ATI Radeon 9800XT video (so I can't use 3D).

This configuration actually works pretty well until I get to things like auto-routing 16 layer boards, or cross probing boards with 2000-3000 components.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back