Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] LT3081/LT3090 voltage regulators output adjustment problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.
I'm building a dual rail power supply with LT3081(positive reg) and LT3090(negative reg) and i will not set the output voltage by use of a resistor but through feeding a external voltage into the set pin(not my idea and a lot of the basics for my supply is credited to David behind EEVBLOGG).

As David does i will simply feed a positive voltage into the positive regulators set pin and that will produce the same voltage at the regulator output, but it's something i don't get about the negative regulator.

In the data sheet at page 31 theres a picture that shows both types of regulators and its the background for my question.
http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/3090fa.pdf
I don't even know what a 4-quadrant supply is but the lt3085 is just like the lt3081 but have I understood right when I think i need to supply the negative regulator with a negative voltage?(in my circuit)

But what seems odd to me is that comparing the two regs the positives set pin drives the +in of the amplifier and the negatives set pin drives the -in of its amplifier, and when I see them both connected to one and the same voltage I get somewhat confused. But as said i don't know what the circuits should do but it looks very strange to me.

In my circuit both regulators should output the same voltage with opposite polarity so by some means I need a positiv controll voltage for the positive reg and a negative controll voltage for the negative reg, true?

I realise that I need to aquire a better grasp of amplifiers but what would happen if I feed the negative regulators(lt3090) set pin with a positive voltage?

In my circuit both regulators should output the same voltage with opposite polarity so by some means I need a positiv controll voltage for the positive reg and a negative controll voltage for the negative reg, true?
Yes. You'll use an OP in inverting configuration (amplifier with gain of -1) to invert the control voltage.

Reactions: David_

David_

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.