Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for timer with two inputs

Status
Not open for further replies.

billbaty

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have thought of an experiment I want to conduct. I will need to have a timer device which would accept two DC inputs & output (undetermined voltage, but low, 12 volt or less) and switch between them at a variable rate from about one second to about 60 times per second. So when one input circuit is off, the other would be automatically on. I wouldn't need the timer to be run from the input current but could be run from a separate 12-volt current or plugged in to 110 household current.

Is there such a timer already on the market?

All the best

You can build it easily with a 555 timer and either transistors or solid state relay output (1 form C). How much current does it need to handle? I'm not aware of an off-the-shelf product.

You can build it easily with a 555 timer and either transistors or solid state relay output (1 form C). How much current does it need to handle? I'm not aware of an off-the-shelf product.

Hi, Probably not much current. 12 volts @ around 5 amps. But I would like it rated higher and not run at its maximum.

Can you afford to lose 0.4 - 0.6 V from each source?

Can you afford to lose 0.4 - 0.6 V from each source?

Hi, Yes, I probably could afford to lose some voltage. Are you suggesting some sort of switch/timer that would consume about 1/2 volt?

No, the power to operate the circuit would be independent, but semiconductor junctions like those in a switching transistor or solid state relay have an inherent voltage drop across them.

Status
Not open for further replies.