Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Issues with AM Modulation Using NI 9263 and NI 9239 Modules

matin-kh

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

I am utilizing an NI 9263 analog output to generate a sine voltage with a frequency of 1 kHz and a peak voltage of 10 V. The intention is to use this signal as a carrier in a system for amplitude modulation (AM). The message signal is in the millivolt range, and I am acquiring data with an NI 9239 analog input. Both of these modules are integrated into an NI cDAQ-9178 system.

To test the input and output modules, I generate a 1 kHz sine voltage using the NI 9263 and directly connect it to the NI 9239 module. In this scenario, the output appears somewhat altered, as evidenced by the change in the envelope color in the first figure. I have employed an envelope function to illustrate the peak of this signal in the second figure. The amplitude is observed to fluctuate with a constant frequency between 9.89 V and 9.97 V. While this may be acceptable for general purposes, it becomes problematic for my application, where I intend to perform AM demodulation, and my message signal is in the millivolt range. The observed shape could potentially overlap with the message frequency.

To investigate whether the issue lies with the analog input or analog output, I checked an arbitrary waveform generator and found similar problems, indicating that the issue may be associated with the analog input. Do you have insights into what the problem might be and how I can address it?
1705979584728.png

1705979606628.png

Thank you

How do you generate sine and how measure signal amplitude? The apparent modulation is most likely an artifact of your measurement method. Less likely produced in signal generation.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back