Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ISA to Microcode to Microarchitecture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitchurch85

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Guys I want to understand these terminologies correctely. I want to get correction if my understanding of these terms is flawed.

ISA = this is the machine language code 0's and 1's generated by a compiler. These opcodes are visible to the programmer of a particular processor.

Micro-code = This is the code present in the ROM of the control Unit. It is used for executing the same ISA opcode codes, in different ways for different microarchitectures. eg:- microcode for a pipelined adder is different than for a koggestone adder in a processor.

Microarchitecture = This is the hardware implimentation for implementing the given ISA. Micro-architectures vary from one processor to another, but all processors operate on the same ISA.

Micro-code and Micro architecure are interrelated. For a given micro-architecture there is a given microcode.

This is my understanding of ISA, Micro-code and micro-architecture.
ISA is a standard
the other 2 are implementation specific. Please correct me if my understanding is flawed.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.