Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this PCB fried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KFIre2021

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey there,
Circuit board noob here, working on some home DIY to fix a guitar pedal. One of the buttons is not working, so I opened it up to the circuit board and found that the circuit board itself was not transferring the connection.
I've attached a picture here, where I noticed some marks on the PCB. I was wondering if this would constitute as damage?
And would it be repairable by a DIYer?
Thanks a mill in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20210213_205345.jpg
    IMG_20210213_205345.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 156

Thanks a mill for your reply man!
Ok so that's not damage around the two solder joints?
Not sure why the current isn't flowing so. Must be elsewhere you think so?

Use an ohmmeter to check circuit continuity. May be the cable is broken?

Was thinking that possibly. Cool will do 👍 thanks a mill

Is it a membrane type button? Over time these can lose electrical contact between the membrane and conductive pad underneath. Dirt, powder, deposits from outgassing of petrochemicals...

Would this be a membrane type button? Again sorry I don't know much. But this picture shows what's on the other side of that PCB. The little button is not working so issue could be with it maybe?

Attachments

• IMG_20210214_121541.jpg
    IMG_20210214_121541.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20210214_121528.jpg
    IMG_20210214_121528.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 136

Simple check:
Short out the two solder pads momentarily with a short length of wire or even a screwdriver blade. If the function operates it means the switch is faulty.
The reasoning:
That kind of switch normally has no connection between its two pins, when pressed they are bridged (linked together). The electronics at the other end of the cable has no notion of what caused the linking so if something else does it successfully but it wasn't the switch that did it, the function would still work as expected.
The fix:
A new switch - they cost pennies and are easy to find but be careful to get one with two pins, most have four, one in each corner and ensure the height of the plastic button is the same or it won't line up with whatever pushes it.

Brian.

Simple check:
Short out the two solder pads momentarily with a short length of wire or even a screwdriver blade. If the function operates it means the switch is faulty.
The reasoning:
That kind of switch normally has no connection between its two pins, when pressed they are bridged (linked together). The electronics at the other end of the cable has no notion of what caused the linking so if something else does it successfully but it wasn't the switch that did it, the function would still work as expected.
The fix:
A new switch - they cost pennies and are easy to find but be careful to get one with two pins, most have four, one in each corner and ensure the height of the plastic button is the same or it won't line up with whatever pushes it.

Brian.
Thanks so much Brian. I really appreciate the advice. So do you mean the two solder points directly under the switch? Place a screwdriver blade across both to see if the circuit is complete and the function operates?

Yes, that is correct.
Anything conductive between the pads will do the same thing as pressing the switch.

Brian.

Yes, that is correct.
Anything conductive between the pads will do the same thing as pressing the switch.

Brian.
Perfect, will try that and see how I go. Thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.