Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there a way to link the “Gain Factor in Saturation” a.k.a. "beff" to gm/Id method?

Status
Not open for further replies.

melkord

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
One of the equations that describe my circuit has the term \mu_{0}*C_{ox}*W/L.
1613804576799.png

I found out in Cadence that ID in saturation follow exactly this equation:
ID = 0.5 * beff * vgt^2.

So I assume beff = \mu_{0}*C_{ox}*W/L.

Now, I want to characterize beff of the device by using gm/Id method that I have been using.
For the device parameter extraction, I varied L and VGS.
So far, this work just fine to predict gm, rds, fT.

However, I tried to record the beff using the same method, but I got the wrong result.

What would you suggest me to do?

I appreciate any lead.

Be careful that changing L means moving to another family of curves. Also Vth changes with L. If your device is not not long enough, gm/ID is necessary and the square law will not give a valid approximation. To validate this, try the square law for several VGS in a short channel device and you will see it.
Also the definition of "saturation" is vague. If Vov< 0.2 V, the square law approximation is not holding true. In moderate and weak inversion, the square law becomes almost useless.
If you want to use the square law, make sure L is long enough and Vov is high enough. Then characterise the device (\[\beta\] , Vth) at a particular L. Then if you change L, calculate the new (\[\beta\] , Vth) for the new L.

Last edited:

Be careful that changing L means moving to another family of curves. Also Vth changes with L. If your device is not not long enough, gm/ID is necessary and the square law will not give a valid approximation. To validate this, try the square law for several VGS in a short channel device and you will see it.
Also the definition of "saturation" is vague. If Vov< 0.2 V, the square law approximation is not holding true. In moderate and weak inversion, the square law becomes almost useless.
If you want to use the square law, make sure L is long enough and Vov is high enough. Then characterise the device (\[\beta\] , Vth) at a particular L. Then if you change L, calculate the new (\[\beta\] , Vth) for the new L.

Hi, I still do not get what you mean by another family of curves.
What I did so far to characterize my device is sweeping VGS for 6 different L values.
From this, I get gm/Id, Id/W and it works to predict gm, rout, fT.

I use the same method, but the result for "beff" is not correct.

Then characterise the device (\[\beta\] , Vth) at a particular L. Then if you change L, calculate the new (\[\beta\] , Vth) for the new L.
What should I sweep at a particular L?
if you meant I should sweep VGS, I did that already. But it does not produce the correct "beff".

The whole point of designing according to the gm/Id methodology is to avoid using the square law model of the transistors. beff is part of the square law and you kind of defy the purpose of using the gm/Id if you insist on knowing beff.

The whole point of designing according to the gm/Id methodology is to avoid using the square law model of the transistors. beff is part of the square law and you kind of defy the purpose of using the gm/Id if you insist on knowing beff.

Hi, yes, I am aware of that. But that particular formula has that term. do you have any other suggestion?

If you insist on using the gm/Id, find a way to express that formula in terms of gm/Id.

I meant what sutapanaki meant. \[ \beta \] is not useful in gm/ID methodology. Your approach is correct for sweeping VGS to get gm/ID and ID/W. But \[ \beta \] is not a part of gm/ID. gm/ID methodology main point is to avoid using the square law because V*\[ \neq \] Vov.
In your circuit equation, you should know where the \[ \beta \] came from originally. If use substitute the following, you can have gm and ID instead.
\[ gm=\sqrt{2*\beta * ID } \]. or \[ \beta= \frac {gm^2} {2*ID} \]
Eventually you have ID and gm only in your equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back