Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is adaptive filtering better than well-designed FIR filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

machael

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi, guys

I'm just beginning to study some materials of adaptive filtering in order to find if any enhance can be made to improve the performance of a power line communicaiton receiver. I just think that adaptive filtering has a very attractive technique name in the application of noise filtering --- it is called "noise cancellation". However, I wonder how can a dynamic FIR filter can achieve better performance than a fixed and well-designed FIR filter in getting rid of the noise out of band, if the receiving signal is a well-known digital-modulated signal, such as BPSK? Does any proof can prove it?

But I think adaptive filtering must have some advantage because it is widely-used in modern communication devices as I know. So does anybody can explained it to me if it is really so useful?

Many many thanks!

Regards!~

Status
Not open for further replies.