Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

inverter using dac output

Status
Not open for further replies.

yasiralikhan

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am trying to build an inverter 12 v to 220 v ac (500w). using microcontroller and 4-bit DAC. i got the stair case out put of 3.2 v p-to-p.now i want to make the output smooth. then amplify it.and then step it up to 220 v.
o am facing dificulty in refining the signal as well as amplifing it.
guys kindly help me on this.
regards

If this is a power inverter to provide an AC power source, it will be very inefficient.
Consider using a more efficient high voltage DC generator then using the microcontroller to convert the DC to 'clean' AC.

Your problem with the present design is that with a 4-bit DAC you only get 16 steps in output voltage so the waveform will never be sinusoidal. The best you can do is pass the signal through a low pass filter to limit its slew rate so the sides of the step are less steep. Not a good solution but better than none.

Brian.

it will be very inefficient
You didn't tell about the intended "amplifier" type. A PWM power stage as a kind of class D amplifier can be efficient. If it follows
the classical triangle generator modulator approach, it could use a low-pass filtered 4-bit sine. Most designs are generating
the sine PWM in the digital domain from a look-up table, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.