Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing Nokia Mobile with Micro Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsaqib

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Experts,

I want to interface a nokia mobile which has Mini USB port with Atmel Micro controller to send AT Commands.

I cant use old mobile which have RS232 support as i have to use Symbian S60 based mobile.

I dont want to use micro controller with on chip USB host support or an external USB to Serial Host chip like FT232 as they are not available at my location.

So,

Which one of the following is possible, easiest and most cost effective?

1. Is it possible to use low cost ready made USB to Serial converter cables like (www.amazon.com/SERIAL-ADAPTER-VIEWSAT-SATELLITE-MAGELLAN/dp/B001QWW4MS)?
I have couple of these and I use them for connecting some old Serial port devices to connect to laptop.

Can they be connected in between mobile and Atmel by giving it power?

2. Is there any easy to use software available which can be use as USB Host controller inside the micro controller.
I found couple of softwares but they looks to be used with PCs at one end, not with Mobile.

3. If above two are not possible then which is the easiest and most cost effective?
A serial to USB host chip or a UC with on chip USB host support?
Please also suggest the IC names preferably from ATMEL.

Sorry for so many queries!

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Saqib

elmuhamady said:
Please read this page about "USB On-The-Go" to communicate devices with USB peripherals and directly with each other when a PC is not available:
Thanks a lot for your reply.

Can you please explain how can I use it in my project?

If I am not wrong then it is only applicable if you are using some hardware host controller chip?

Thanks & Regards,
Saqib

Dear I don't work with Atmel microcontroller as my work is with PIC microcontroller and you can use PIC24 or PIC32 which have embedded USB host (USB on-the-go which connect two devices as microcontroller and your mobile without need to pc HOST as i mentioned before).

see:

**broken link removed**

Amr

nsaqib

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
elmuhamady said:
Dear I don't work with Atmel microcontroller as my work is with PIC microcontroller and you can use PIC24 or PIC32 which have embedded USB host (USB on-the-go which connect two devices as microcontroller and your mobile without need to pc HOST as i mentioned before).
Amr

Dear thanks a lot for your swift response. I will study about USB OTG.

Atmel AVR AT90USB647 & AT90USB1287 also support OTG so I will also try to learn about it.

In my project I just want to send AT commands to mobile so for that will I define a virtual COM/Serial Port like its in PC?

Can you please refer to some project in which mobile and microcontroller are connected through USB?

Have a nice weekend!

Many Thanks,
Saqib

nsaqib said:
In my project I just want to send AT commands to mobile so for that will I define a virtual COM/Serial Port like its in PC?

Can you please refer to some project in which mobile and microcontroller are connected through USB?
I don't know what your motivation is for using a USB interface, but it adds a lot of complexity to your project. It will probably be more work to develop the USB stuff than the GSM stuff.

GSM Man said:
I don't know what your motivation is for using a USB interface, but it adds a lot of complexity to your project. It will probably be more work to develop the USB stuff than the GSM stuff.

I want to use Symbian S60 mobile as I can build a programe for it using Python. Java and other languages are very complex for me...

And all the Nokia S60 mobiles come with USB port and about its FBUS i am not sure...

Can anyone please tell me if I can use its FBUS terminals beneath battery for sending SMS and dialing phone numbers?

Thanks & Regards,
Saqib

Status
Not open for further replies.