Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Input and output impedance

Status
Not open for further replies.

giri_lp

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
How should I understand input and output impedance in general? For example, the input impedance of an amplifier is this much and output impedance is this much. And what does that imply?

Say, input impedance of hte amp is very low/very high. And how does that matter when I design my basic block?

and similarly for output impedance

giri_lp,
The input impedance of an amplifier forms a voltage divider with the output (source) impedance of the source that is providing the input voltage to the amplifier. For simplicity, assume that the impedances are purely resistive. Suppose the amplifier has an input resistance of 10K Ohms, and the source has an output resistance of 20K Ohms. This means that the voltage appearing on the input of the amplifier will be 1/3 the open circuit output voltage of the source. For low frequency, e.g audio applications it is desirable to have a low output impedance and a high input impedance. For RF applications, it is desirable that the output impedance of the source matches the input impedance of the load. This is necessary to prevent ringing due to reflections.
Regards,
Kral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back